Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pinehurst Golf

I%26#39;d like to plan a 3 or 4 day golf getaway for my husband at Pinehurst but know nothing about golf! Where do I start? How much golf do you schedule in one day? what courses and in what sequence? Any help would be greatly appreciated.



Pinehurst Golf


Say, if you ever tire of hubby, let me know. I could use a wife like you.





So, where to start... First, go to Pinehurst%26#39;s web site to see what they have. They have all kinds of specials.http://www.pinehurst.com/





Course #2 is the one that all the pro%26#39;s play and if you Really love him, try to get him on there.





Are you going with him or are his buddies going? makes a difference as far as where to stay. My wife would want me to stay at Pinehurst. However, it can get spendy.



Other options are in the area and you might try here: http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/



The Tobacco Road course is supposed to be outstanding. If you do Pinhurst #2 and Tobacco Road, you might be broke but in case you still have some $$ left, there are planty of courses in the area. http://www.ncgolf.com/





How much golf in a day? If he is a rabid golfer, he could get in 36 holes but I wouldn%26#39;t do 36 holes on the same course. 18 would likely be enough.





Have fun!



Pinehurst Golf


Pinehurst is a dream golf vacation for most golfers, and like Baked said above me, Pinehurst Number 2 is the cream of the crop. However, my understanding is that access to play Number 2 is limited to the Pinehurst properties and a very small number of other hotels. The Pinehurst resort has 3 hotels, (the Carolinian, the Holly Inn, and the Manor Inn) and a number of other lodging options. If he stays at the resort, it might make sense to play several of the other Pinehurst Resort courses. My personal favorites, beyond Number 2, are 4 and 8. Two other options in Pinehurst Village are the Magnolia Inn and the Pinecrest Inn, both of which can set up complete golf arrangements. I%26#39;d recommend staying in Pinehurst Village, the atmosphere is great, there are lots of dining choices without having to drive.





For lower cost options, stay at one of the many condo rentals in and around Pinehurst. I%26#39;ve loved my time in Pinehurst so much, I bought on of those condos, but I won%26#39;t tell which one, I know this forum isn%26#39;t for advertising. My wife and I get to visit 3 or 4 times a year. If you search the Pinehurst forum, you can find lots of recommendations for other great courses. Some of my favourites non-Pinehurst courses are Tobacco Road, MidSouth, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, and the Pit.





Good luck, he%26#39;s a lucky man to have a wife who%26#39;ll plan something like this for him.




Thank you!! I will definitely schedule #2 and maybe another. I%26#39;ve heard nice things about #4, #7 and #8. If you had to pick another course along with #2, what number would you suggest? Your input has been VERY helpful!




I haven%26#39;t played 7, so I can%26#39;t advise you there. Between 4 and 8, I think 4 is the more interesting, visually, with little clusters of teeny sand traps, while 8 is a more traditional look. Both 7 and 8 are located a couple of miles away from the main clubhouse. If you stay with the Pinehurst resort, I%26#39;m pretty sure that they%26#39;ll provide transportation, and will make sure his clubs end up at the correct golf course at the corract time. Even if he%26#39;s driving himself, its just a short trip.





If he%26#39;s definitely playing number 2, I%26#39;d recommend he treat himself to a caddy. Its one of the few places in the US where you can have a truly professional caddy help you around the golf course.





Keep posting, I%26#39;m sure more questions will come up as you move through the planning process.




The yur choice of golf will be directly linked to where you stay. For the most part, unless you stay at the Pinehurst resort you will have a difficult time getting a tee time on any of the Pinehurst Resort courses. I didn%26#39;t say impossible, but difficult.





I strongly recommend the Pinehurst Resort. I has been consistantly named as the #1 US Golf Resort. A distinction it deserves.





If you stay at the Resort think about the following routine;



Play #1 first. This is the easiest of the courses at the resort, but yet a wonderful golf course. Recently renovated, it tends to be in fabulous shape. It makes for a great warm up for the more difficult courses.





Do play #2 and consider a caddy.





The others you should play are #4, #7 and #8. I would also recommend #6, many consider it one of the best.







If you do not stay at the resort, there are over 40 championship courses in the area to choose from. Your hotel will likely be able to schedule your golf from soup to nuts. A couple of local gems to seek out are Southern Pines Country Club (aka Elks Club), Little River, Legacy Lakes, Pinewild (Magnolia Course), MidSouth and National. If you like bizarre golf try Tobacco Road, you will either love it or hate it. The Pit is a similiar design.

No comments:

Post a Comment