Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Norfolk, VA to Wilmington, NC - which route?

I will be driving from Norfolk, VA to Wilmington, NC next Sunday. Should I take US Route 58 to I-95 and then I-40, or should I go via the US Routes 13 %26amp; 17 through Eastern NC? Google Maps says taking Rte 58 to 95 to 40 will be quicker, but will I really save much time by taking such a round-about route? What do you think? Thanks, Johnny



Norfolk, VA to Wilmington, NC - which route?


If you want to get there quickly and mindlessly, then go the 58/95/40 route.





I did the opposite once-Jacksonville NC to VA Beach using 17. It took FOR..EV..ER.... Yes, I think you really will save a lot of time.





I-40 is a very nice, newer highway.



Norfolk, VA to Wilmington, NC - which route?


Thank you for your input. Actually, I live in Richmond, but will be in Tidewater this weekend and will head to Wilmington from there. Richmond to Wilmington, we have always gone 95 to 40. While I would love to see Eastern NC, I admit I am not thrilled by your ';For-ev-er'; reference. Havning no other feedback at the moment, I may have to look towards the ';straight shot'; of 58 to 95 to 40. Thanks again.





- Johnny (native of DC area)




I have done it too. Seemed like it would be a nice drive to cut down the coast, but it does take forever. Don%26#39;t do it...unless you have a day to kill.a





58 to 95 to 40 is the way to go.




Yeah, we did it on a whim, ';Oh, won%26#39;t this be scenic!'; I always like to see new things.





We had been vacationing on Topsail and were going to visit friends in VA Beach before heading back to NOVA. We left fairly early morning and I don%26#39;t think we arrived in VA Beach until 6:00. It had been raining too, which made it worse. It was one of those drives where you come upon a mileage sign...';X miles to ABC'; and you would GROAN because it was still SO FARRRRRR.





I remember my husband was sunburned too-so was terribly uncomfortable and whining-worse than the two boys in the back!





There are some nice areas to visit through that general area. Tryon Palace in New Bern is one of my favorites. But yeah, save it for a time when you can do it at a casual pace and it is the purpose of your trip.




I had the time to kill and wound up doing the ';scenic'; route. US Rte 13 to US Rte 17. Yes, it took longer...about 6.5 but the traffic DID move. I don%26#39;t know that I would do it again, but am glad I did the scenic, as I will be doing Interstate on the way back.





Thanks for all of your time and responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment