Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Cherokee riverside accommodations and Indian Village

I%26#39;m going to be in Cherokee in June with 8 other family members. I%26#39;ve been looking for a place to stay that is on the river where my 2 girls, ages 9 %26amp; 12, could play in the water. None of us are fussy...clean, good management %26amp; inexpensive is all we need. I%26#39;ve looked into the Pink Motel, Pioneer Motel %26amp; Cabins and the Newfound Lodge. I like what I have seen on the internet for Newfound Lodge, but it was the only one that said the river was too rough near their property for the girls to play in and suggested going down to the Island%26#39;s Park if they wanted to get wet. Do you have any opinions as to these accommodations or can suggest any others that I haven%26#39;t mentioned? Also, when we are in town, we are going to visit the Indian Village and see Unto These Hills. Do you know how much time needs to be allotted to the village and whether the guided tour is worth the extra $5-$6?





Thanks!



Cherokee riverside accommodations and Indian Village


The Pink Motel and Newfound lodge are next to each other. There is water access there. I would not really call it rough but it is not the best place. The tubers do float this section of the river. However for the most part the tubing is fairly calm.





i have stayed at Newfound lodge but it has been several years ago. The room are okay, it is an older place but keeped up. Right now I can not think of a motel on the river that has good river access. Maybe Riverside Motel, but I do not know any thing about it. The reviews on it are hit and miss.





When you get to Cherokee you will find that the river park in the middle of town is the prefect spot for the girls to enjoy the river. It is one of my favorite places and it is free. They can swim, tube, throw rocks or chase the ducks. There is always people there enjoying it.





The indain village wil take 2 or 3 hours to tour. It all depends on you pace and how much you stop and watch. The best I recall they where all quided tours the last time I went there. Maybe they have changed the format some. The drama unto these hills is great. I say it last year and it was very good. I have seen it several times in the past.





Check out the web site www.cherokee-nc.com. It is cherokee%26#39;s official site and has some good information. If you have not already got your tickets to Unto these Hills you can order them online at that site. If not get them as soon as you get into town so you can get good seats.



John



Cherokee riverside accommodations and Indian Village


I plan to bring my grand children (girls 10 %26amp;11)



on a Wed and stay all night in Cherokee and see Unto These Hills. I want a safe, clean place for the 3 of us. I will take them to the park for creek wading. Then I plan to drive on to Pigeon Forge for a night at Wilderness Resort. How is the drive across Newfoundland Gap? It has been 20 years since I%26#39;ve traveled this road. And advise or tips will be appreciated.




The drive across Newfound Gap is okay. It is the same 2 lane road that is always been. It is narrow road but worth the drive. The sites are beautiful. They have been doing work on the road and are suppose to repave it.





Cherokkee has all kinds of hotels. Check out the website and they have listing of them. The area is really safe. I have left hundreds of dollars worth of fishing tackle, etc and never lost anything.





John




John, Thank you for your input. I think your suggestion of the park for water play is probably what I%26#39;ll do with my girls. The Indian Village this year started offering self guided tours, so I%26#39;ll probably let the other members of my group decide which tour we%26#39;ll do. Shelley




Another question regarding Unto These Hills. If seats are reserved at the time of ticket purchase, is there any area of the theater that is best for viewing? And, does anyone know what type of seats they are...bench or seats with backs? My mother is in her eighties and I am concerned about her comfort.





Thanks again, Shelley




Last year the seats where a combination of beach and seats with backs. They where old but okay. From what I have read they renovated the place over the winter. They where suppose to make all kind of improvements. These where to the seating, better accomadations for handicapp/elderly, shuttle service etc. So to answer your question I am not really sure.





Last year I order my tickets online and got seats on the third row. They where very good. With the way the place is designed I would not wanted to be any closer. Since the place is build on the side of a mountain all of the seats appear to have a good veiw. Get there early for the pre - show.





John

No comments:

Post a Comment